Donations Kisoboka Uganda, Inc.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 27th 2008- In less than a month I will be leaving

Hello All,
I am becoming a blogger so that I can keep you all posted on my adventure. First a BIG THANK YOU to all that have contributed to building the Orphanage, the total raised so far is $1,107.

I kicked off 3 fund raising events today, the penny drive, cans and my paper dolls. Each paper doll sells for $1.00 and I put it on a big display board. The kids decorate them older people just put their name on it. (I sold 50 today).

May 10th we are having a yard sale at the church (Rain or Shine)the money raised from that will help pay for some of our trip. The yard sale will have a couple of special tables

  • The Great American Bake Sale. This is to end childhood hunger.
  • Mukasa Baskets these are baskets hand made by women around the world living in poverty.
  • BeadsForLife - Beautiful Hand made beads made by women from Uganda
  • Invisible Children - Bracelets and videos (These are in support of the children that are called night travellers. In Northern Uganda children walk to hospitals or train stations to sleep so they will not be abducted by the LRA Joseph Kony) HORRIFYING SITUATION.
  • Urban Promise - Cards and Posters made by the children living in poverty in Camden NJ.

I would love to see you all there.

I recently met Grace Akallo - Co-Author of Girl Soldier. She is an amazing woman. When she was 15 she was one of the 139 girls abducted by the LRA from the Aboke School. Her faith and strenght is inspiring

Tomorrow I go for my final series of shots, not my favorite part of preparing for this trip.

2 comments:

mreg said...

Hi Sandy,

I have not yet mailed my check but it's coming!!! The world is a better place because you are in it! I wish you the best on your Mission!

Love & Prayers,

Mary

Jay said...

Hi Sandy, The blog looks great! I just subscribed to the feed. I think that you will find it very cathartic as you deal with all of the poverty and sadness (and the joy) that you will experience in Uganda. It should prove to be truly the trip of a lifetime and perhaps your life's work. Don't forget to upload images of your trip so we can see exactly what you are talking about. The challenges of Uganda are huge and having children raising themselves...scary.

I am going to look forward to learning more about what is happening and what we need to do both as individuals and as a nation to help.