Donations Kisoboka Uganda, Inc.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our Visit to the Orphanage

I have posted pictures on snapfish, if you would like the link to it send me an e-mail.
s-gannon@hotmail.com
My time in Uganda was wonderful, but my favorite was spending time at the Christian Academy Mission Program where the orphans go to school.
The orphans were beautiful they were filled with the spirit of the Lord. There bodies showed the neglect of the world. They had just returned from their school break. Pastor Frank asked them what they did during their vacation. Every child that was asked had the same answer digging on the land.

There heads are crooked from carrying water on their heads from an early age. They have skin disease, many have worms in their empty stomachs, there feet are full of jiggers (worms and insects) that have crawled in through the cracks in their feet, some of them battle many other diseases.
The meal they have daily looked like watered down cream of wheat. At Christmas and Easter they have a full meal of Rice, beans, meat and a bottle of soda. Every other day they have the watered down cream of wheat. Their clothes are falling apart and dirty.
On our first visit we brought the children pens, note books, candy, biscuts, soap and salt. They were very excited and happy with their gifts.
On our second visit we provided the children with a lunch of beans and rice. The older children served the younger children. They did not have enough plates so they also had to wait until someone finished eating before they could eat. The meal of beans and rice for 110 children was $18.00.We also brought them 2 balls a netball for the girls and a football for the boys. They were very excited. When we left the orphanage they ran behind the car for a long time. I am sure the teachers did not get them settled down to learn for the rest of the day.
I made a promise that I will do everything in my power to keep. I promised that they would have a meal like that at least 1 time per week. They would have shoes for their feet and a uniform to wear with a small back pack to carry their school supplies in. They would also have the medicine that they need to help end their suffering.

I talked one on one with 13 of the older children. I wanted to know their dreams it was incredibly painful when I realized that they did not know how to dream.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sandy thanks so much for sharing your stories and pictures from Uganda. I am very proud of you. You truly are an amazing person. God Bless, Love, Mary